The “Pac-Man” was knocked out for the first time in 13 years, this time by Juan Manuel Márquez:
Marquez, desperate for victory after being down 0-2-1 in the legendary series, flattened Pacquiao with a flush overhand right hand with one second left in the sixth round of their welterweight fight, sending a jolt of human electricity through the sold-out crowd of 16,348 — in a pro-Marquez house — at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
Pacquiao went down face-first and was out cold, and the judges, the source of so much controversy through the first three fights, were rendered pointless. Referee Kenny Bayless didn’t bother to — or need to — count as Marquez celebrated on the ring ropes, drinking in the cheers from his Mexican fans, who chanted for him throughout the fight.
“I knew Manny could knock me out at any time,” Marquez said. “I threw the perfect punch.”
- Manny Pacquiao taken to hospital after brutal Juan Manuel Marquez knockout (metro.co.uk)
- Juan Manuel Marquez knocks out Manny Pacquiao in 6th round – @latimes (latimes.com)
- A Bloodied Juan Manuel Márquez Annihilated Manny Pacquiao With This Brutal Sixth-Round Knockout Punch (deadspin.com)
- The Punch that Knocked-Out Manny Pacquiao (pochp.wordpress.com)
- Marquez knocks out Pacquiao in sixth round (espn.go.com)