…while the United States continues to think anachronistically:
France will vote in favor of the Palestinians’ request to heighten their profile at the United Nations, the French foreign minister told Parliament on Tuesday, embracing a move that Israel and the United States oppose.
The support of France, a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council, is the most significant boost to date for the Palestinians’ hopes to be granted nonmember observer status and thus greater international recognition. Russia and China, two other permanent members, have also thrown their support behind the Palestinian bid.
The French support appeared calculated to strengthen the position of the Palestinian Authority’s president, Mahmoud Abbas, whose Fatah party governs the West Bank, after fighting with Israel in the Gaza Strip this month that left Hamas, the Islamic militant organization that oversees Gaza, ascendant.
For too many years, the American approach to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been incoherent. We want democratic elections, but then we decry the results and call the winners a terrorist organization. We want fewer terror attacks, but then support Israel in policies that only strengthen the hand of those same people we call terrorists. What do we want, exactly?
- Palestinians warn: back UN statehood bid or risk boosting Hamas (guardian.co.uk)
- France to Back Palestinian Bid to Raise UN Status (commondreams.org)
- Britain ready to back Palestinian statehood at UN (guardian.co.uk)
- Brits complicit? At last fear of being convicted for war crimes (justlearningman.wordpress.com)
- France To Recognize Palestine (joemygod.blogspot.com)