Is it just me, or has there been an abnormally large contingent of Ronald Reagan-related quotes on the GOP’s campaign trail this cycle? Here’s the latest, from Sarah Palin’s PAC web site:
President Reagan once noted that our national anthem is the only one in the world that ends with a question: “O, say does that Star-Spangled Banner yet wave, o’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?” It’s up to each generation of Americans to answer that question. I hope we all make it our duty and responsibility to make sure that, YES, our banner still waves over a free and brave nation!
This leads me to wonder to what other ends Palin could trot out the ol’ Gipper. A few ideas:
1. President Reagan once noted that ice cream cones taste better with pickles. I tried it. He was very wrong.
2. President Reagan once noted that the Berlin Wall must be torn down. But the Separation Wall in the West Bank suits me just fine.
3. President Reagan once noted that we have excess prison capacity and a conveniently large number of black and Latino citizens he’d like to lock up, far from voting booths. That’s worked out pretty well for everyone, right?
- The Controversy of Ronald Reagan (christopherjudson.wordpress.com)
- Will Sarah Palin be Burned If She Runs? (socyberty.com)
- Why all the discontent? (politics.ie)